Prawn and Vegetables Tempura with Rice

11 comments
High calorie, high fat and high cholesterol lunch.... Tempura with rice. Unhealthy, but delicious - which is often the case with unhealthy food...;).




I like to use this recipe I found in Recipezaar to make my tempura, because the tempura coating turns out very crispy and stays so for a long time. It calls for (non-dark) beer and rice flour, but I omit the cayenne pepper and garlic powder, because these two ingredients are too overpowering - they make the tempura non-Japanese in taste. Instead I like to add a bit of oyster sauce to add some flavour to the tempura batter.

I also like to use instant tempura batter, the best one I've tried so far is the one from Ottogi, a Korean brand. When using instant tempura batter, I always use ice-cold water to make sure the tempura turns out crispy. I've tried making tempura batter with egg, but it was not as good as the non-egg tempura batter.



Ingredients
  • 10 prawns
  • 1 spring onion, cut into 5 cm long matchstick pieces
  • 1 medium onion, sliced
  • 1/2 cup cold beer /cold soda water
  • 1/2 rice flour
  • 1/2 tbs oyster sauce
Tempura Dipping Sauce
  • 100 ml dashi stock
  • 3 tbs soy sauce
  • 2 tbs mirin
  • 2 tbs sake
  • 1 tbs sugar
What to do
  • Whisk cold beer, oyster sauce and rice flour in a bowl.
  • Coat the prawns and onions with flour before dipping them in the tempura batter mixture.
  • Deep fry for 12 seconds.



And...being a sushi lover, here is my 2 cents - use your prawn tempura to make sushi too :)!




In Sydney, there are many small Sushi bars selling handrolls looking like the sushi rolls above for AU$1.80 each. I don't know if the rolls still cost the same now, or more expensive.



Bookmark and Share
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

11 comments:

  1. I definitely want to try your method. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! I am more and more impressed with you every time I visit your blog! Your dishes are perfect and my mouth is watering whenever I stop by to check out what kind of culinary adventure you are on! Keep up a great work. I am now truly inspired to make my own tempura!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You made your own tempura and sushi? That's so great! I don't have the courage to make those 2 dishes at all, seriously... scared that they wont turn out good at all, hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tempura and sushi at home...mmmm...you are a pro!

    Angie's Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you make these sushi yourself??!! They look SO neat and professionally done!! Perfect! The prawns look delicious as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unhealthy food but delicous ! hua222
    I agree with you Sinta !
    so tempting look your creation , bisa buka resto Jepun disana yah !

    ReplyDelete
  7. wonderful!! you can surely open a restaurant!!:D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love making veggie tempura at home. Yours look very delish! I don't think it's unhealthy food, this sure beats eating outside ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you for sharing, I used to use Japanese bradcrumbs (Panko) for my tempura, will try your recipe one day! :-)
    I really like your sushi, my hubby is a big fan of sushi, he likes to show off my homemade sushi lunch to his colleagues and make them jealous and starting to demand more suhsi from him.. lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my what a delicious array of food! The sushi looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a feast! The tempura and sushi all look fantastic! I wish you're my neighbor ;-)

    ReplyDelete