Elegant Picnic Bento

31 comments


Yesterday I received my newest bento box from CasaBento. I didn't actually expect the bento box to be THAT gorgeous...! When I saw the bento box in CasaBento's site, I thought it looked nice, but I only thought of that as one of many nice bento boxes and that it was nothing so special. I decided to get this bento box with Ikebana design because I was simply looking for another design and shape to add to my bento box collection. What I received yesterday was beyond my expectation. You can feel the quality just by looking at it. By the way, I am not exaggerating at the moment and I don't praise this new bento box so much just because CasaBento is my sponsor, when I am not so happy with one of their products, I'll write about it too ;).


Just look at this beauty...!



It's got plastic lids to cover each of the bento container.



This bento box is also microwave and dishwasher safe, but you should remove the plastic lids before you put the bento box in the microwave.

As some of you might have known, CasaBento is a French-based online bento- supplies shop. I had seen CasaBento logo in some bento-related sites for some time, but I never thought about buying anything there, because I was just not used to buy anything online which was not from Amazon. I usually buy my books from Amazon and have always found their service reliable, this was also the reason which led me to buy my first bento box via Amazon. I was actually totally happy with my purchase there and even thought that the box was rather expensive but still quite reasonably-priced. But then, because I couldn't find more interesting bento boxes to buy from Amazon, I started to look around in other online shops and I was especially looking for Europe-based online shops to have less expensive shipping cost. Suddenly I remembered CasaBento again and went to their site and browsed their products. Then I saw my first bento box there and got quite annoyed, because I noticed that the exact bento box which I bought in Amazon was twice more expensive than the one in CasaBento...! Not very nice, but one lesson learned was, 'always compare prices' ;).



This was our dinner - very simple duck fried rice topped with slices of cucumber and cheese sakura blossoms. Next to the fried rice you can see one ham rose (I intend to do a tutorial on this in about one week's time when I have more free time), a few pieces of edamame, three pieces of blanched baby carrots, one cherry tomato, one piece of radish and lettuce.

The top box is filled with several pieces of grapes and strawberries, lettuce border, two pieces of mini Cordon Bleu, two ham roses and one slice of tamagoyaki.

Simple Duck Fried Rice - serves 2
  • 1 cup cooked rice (better when one day old)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 100 grams roasted duck breast, cut into cubes (I like buying pre-made duck breast to save time)
  • 2 tablespoons fish sauce
  • 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
  • 1 egg
  • 2 -3 tablespoons chopped green onions
Instructions:
  • Heat up your wok to high. Add 2 tbs oil.
  • Add duck breast and fish sauce and stir fry for 1 minute.
  • Quickly toss in the rice, oyster sauce and sweet soy sauce. Stir fry for another 1 minute.
  • Push rice to one side of the wok and make scrambled egg on the other side.
  • Mix rice and scrambled egg well.
  • Add chopped green onions and white pepper and stir well before serving.

This fried rice is super simple because it doesn't use garlic or shallots. There are times when I am even too lazy to peel and mince garlic/shallots and this afternoon is one of those days ;). I can nevertheless guarantee that this fried rice still tastes super good! Chopped green onions can compensate the missing garlic...!

Bookmark and Share
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

31 comments:

  1. The bento box looks so pretty! And you've made it even more beautiful with your gorgeous food :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful bento box & even better with plastic lids for each box! LOVEEEE your ham rose! Waiting for your tutorial on this rose! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. That obento box is stunning. It's so great when our purchases come out better than expected :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bento box is so beautiful and together with the meticulous arrangement of food, it's just AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Muy linda la caja bento especial para guarda esta receta delikatesen,la rosa de jamón está estupenda,todo muy regio,cariños y abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! And the box is so elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ahhh i love the flower bento box!!! i seriously need to get one for myself :). i just use glass tupperware. hahaha.

    beautiful dinner as always!

    ReplyDelete
  8. cute lovely colour of the bento box looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohh you took my breath away! These look amazing! the best thing is they are so organized, I need to get some of similar boxes, now that hot weather is coming, we will have a lot of picnics..
    Thanks for sharing sweetie and have a wonderful Sunday tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful bento box! Almost as pretty as the food inside. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is a beautiful and wholesome bento set! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, the bento box is pretty, but all of your food creations are the real stars!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Picnic bento looks so delicious and colorful. Highlighting part of the picnic.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your bento box looks amazing, I really think you've got it down to a fine art!

    ReplyDelete
  15. CG, your bentos look so delicious, but almost too pretty to eat! You can tell you put a ton of effort into it. They are like a piece of art. You are right, the box is beautiful too :o)
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  16. So pretty as always. The Bento box looks fantastic and the content delicious... especially the duck fried rice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hehe, I was thinking of getting this Bento box from CasaBento too, but I decided to wait until next time for it. It is so cute though isn't it? I would totally use it for a picnic too!

    By the way, I wanted to give you some awards. More than one, as you'll see :) http://puddingpielane.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-award-thee.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a gorgeous bento box! And dishwasher+microwave safe??? Difficult to believe. Thanks for sharing the link.
    The contents beautiful, as always...

    ReplyDelete
  19. The bento box is beautiful! And the fried rice and everything in the box looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree with others, the bento box is very beautiful and your food in the box looks gorgeous and delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. How gorgeous! It looks so beautiful That I'd never be able to take the first piece from the box :-). You do such a nice job with your boxes. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow, I could dive right in.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just gorgeous, i know what i want for my birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, wonderful post and that looks so delicious.

    farida
    http://kitchensuperfood.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. The box looks gorgeous... and the food looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. This box is elegant and gorgeous! LOVE all your bentos, wish I could order some hehe

    ReplyDelete
  27. oh CG! i can eat that everyday! this bento looks very very mouthwatering and i always love fried rice in a bentobox! perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Everything in this post is elegant! Your bento, your new bento box, aaahhh... They are just beeeyooooteeefoool :D

    ReplyDelete
  29. This Bento box is nice for picnic with family. We have very old fashion square box (Osechi), but I like this one better. Plus there is a inner lid! This kind of extra thought is so Japanese. We don't want to spill and get messy. :-) You "filled up" the huge 2 tier bento box so perfectly. I know it's not easy to do that... Love your cucumber trick. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love the ham rose! Can't wait to see the tutorial...

    http://keeleymcguire.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete