German Duckling Bento

28 comments


Why do I call this a German duckling bento? Well, it's because this bento is very German. The bento boxes contain German style roasted duck breast with Kartoffelknödel (German potato dumplings) which lie on top of a bed of braised red cabbage (which you unfortunately can't see in the the pictures). This is actually a very festive menu which is normally eaten during Christmas time here in Germany, but because I love this dish so much, I do make it from time to time when I crave for it, instead of waiting patiently until Christmas ;). You'll notice that I absolutely adore this specific German dish when you browse my recipes under the 'German' label. There are only nine recipes there, but four or the recipes are all duck/goose related...:). Preparing this dish normally does take a lot of time, and I wouldn't usually make it on a weekday and especially not after work. Luckily I live in Germany and getting pre-made roasted duck breast, red cabbage and potato dumplings is quite easy, so all in all it only took me around 30-35 minutes to make this bento dinner. Here is a link to my very first post of German Roasted Duck with Red Cabbage and Potato Dumplings (that's why please excuse the rather unsightly pictures...!!).

I wasn't really sure how I wanted to decorate the potato dumplings, but I knew that I wanted them to look like little ducklings or chicks. The ducklings didn't turn out as good as I wanted them to be, but I guess they're quite acceptable to look at.

By the way, the salad bowl was my husband's. He didn't want to eat anything big for dinner because he had had a quite big lunch. He's the healthy eater in the family unlike me...;).


Bookmark and Share
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

28 comments:

  1. This is incredibly cute. What do you use to draw those faces? Is it pen with edible ink?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Chris's Gourmet Fashion - Thank you :). No, I actually used 'nori' (roasted seaweed which you usually use to make sushi) to make the facial features.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful as ever! I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I showed my secretary your blog, and she said your bentos were too cute to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! I really love this german duckling bento are soooo cute! really I love all! ccoking gallery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow..this is so beautiful and cute! The bento looked so delicious too. Great work done, CG. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. German Bento looks so tasty and fulfilling. Even the salad bowl prepared by your husband looks so delicious and colorful. Great preparation.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just gorgeous! And your husband sounds like mine-he's a much healthier eater than me! :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! The roasted duck looks yummy!
    Your ducklings are so adorable! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, where do all your ideas come from? I'm really amazed! Another great bento!

    ReplyDelete
  11. cute cute cute ><)
    what is the black one with hole in the centre??

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful cute birds! Actually the German duck dish looks very Japanese here... maybe the way you have cut it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. so cute as always!! love that pip studio jug btw :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an adorable bento! This looks delicious, too. Great job, and thanks for sharing your lovely photos, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ Yummychunklet: Thank you for 'promoting' my blog...;)!

    @ Deepa: Actually I made the salad, not my husband ;).

    @ Kitchen Flavours: Well, I get my ideas by looking at other people's creations too, cute pictures, etc also do help :).

    @ Sissi - You're right, this bento doesn't look very German. I guess it's due to the 'cute' style which is rather typical of Japanese charaben...

    @ Taste of Home - Jen, I love Pip studio too :D). I've got a whole collection of Pip Studio breakfast and tea sets filling my kitchen cabinet ;).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really well decorated. Do you ever eat decorated food or is it too boring for you?:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so cute! And sorry, I hadn't noticed before you're from Germany, too! (You see, I'm also still new to your blog!)

    We don't usually have duck or goose for Christmas, but fish like trout, cod, or salmon. (My dad fishes so much, so we always have fresh fish. I'm from northern Germany origninally, and my parents still live there.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Muy lindo todo, el patito está muy original ,muy bueno el bento alemán,quiero que a través de mi blog conozcan tus recetas mundialmente,cariños y abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  19. @ Nath - Those are olives which I cut into slices :).

    @ Kath - It's no problem, I think we always need some time to get to know other bloggers better :). Btw, I am not from Germany, but I live in Germany because my husband is German. I live in Hessen and I think in this area, duck or goose is the rather typical Christmas dish. But I am aware that some other parts of Germany have got their own Christmas specialties. In fact before I visited Germany regularly and finally settle here, I always thought that the typical Christmas dinner is fish with potatoes, because that's what I read in my German textbook when I was still studying at uni (I also took German as one of my majors) ;).

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi CG! Thanks for answering my questions in your previous post! My husband's coworker LOVED your site. I felt proud that I know you and your site. LOL =P Today's bento looks nice. Never had German duck but sounds great. My husband wants to eat more ducks (after all he's Chinese) but I don't have too many recipes to cook ducks. So thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  21. cuteness, german style! :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your bentos never cease to woW me! ;) love the 2 ducklings! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is so creative and plenty of afford, looks so sunshiny to me.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I thought you'd made ducklings wearing leiderhosen! These are just as cute and delicious too!

    ReplyDelete