Multigrain Onigiri Bento

25 comments


Today's bento is very simple, nevertheless I spent hours in the kitchen making the multi-grain fried rice and gyoza (Japanese pan-fried dumplings). I went to an Asian market today and I saw some packets of 'Fine ten grains' (see the picture below), I quickly grabbed a packet because I have been looking for other alternatives to white rice. I do realise that I've been eating way too much white rice after I have started bentoing that I don't feel so well anymore. I've bought some brown rice and bulgur too. We'll see what I'll do with them...

I still had quite some leftover chasu and chicken teriyaki from yesterday's sushi making session, so I decided to fry the multigrains with the leftover chasu and chicken teriyaki - this tasted fantastic by the way and absolutely worth a try!

Multi-grain Fried Rice
  • 1 cup 'Fine Ten Grains'
  • 1.7 cups water
  • Chopped chasu
  • Chopped chicken teriyaki
  • A few pieces of Shiitake mushrooms, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 2 tablespoons fish sauce
  • 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
  • A pinch of pepper and sugar
Cook the multigrains with the water in a rice cooker. After it has cooled down, heat your wok with 1 tablespoon oil. Add garlic and stir fry until the garlic is slightly brown. Toss in the rest of the ingredients (except the multigrains) and stir fry for about 1 minute. Lastly add the multigrains and mix well.



'Fine Ten Grains' - brown rice, sorghum rice, buckwheat, barley, pearl rice, wheat oat, job's tear, millet, black glutinous rice



We went to KFC today and I bought some hot chicken wings for take-away. Notice the KFC chicken wings in the left bento box ;)? The little chick is made out of mini mozzarella cheese and the little flowers on top of the multigrain fried rice onigiris are naruto maki (fishcakes) and baby corn.

Don't forget, my giveaway ends tomorrow, 31st May 2011, at midnight GMT +1. Click the banner below to find the details and enter the giveaway...!




Bookmark and Share
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

25 comments:

  1. is there a chance my rice cooker can take damage in case i use it for other grains

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Cele - I doubt that, you can actually even cook a lot of things using a rice cooker. At least my rice cooker has survived so far ...;).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea with the mixed grains, great for thr fibre intake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I picked up a large bag of mixed grains from my Asian store. I cook it often in my rice cooker, I am going to make it this way. I like finding new ways to use it. I love the baby mozz chick. I really want this bento, to eat, and I want to come over and make gyozas with you. They sound wonderful, then my freezer would be full of goodies...and sushi too! of course not the sushi in the freezer I would eat that right away...:D

    Have a beautiful evening or day?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bentos are amazing , really I would like to make these lovely Bentos, xxgloria

    http://canelakitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, this is so cute again! And I see you've already found an alternative to just white rice! :) I'd never have imagines baby corn slices make such nice flowers ... :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks great! And what a bonus that its multigrain. The fruit salad looks so pretty in that glass!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another lovely one! You've made KFC look so delicious:D I love the look of the multigrain rice dish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous as always, wonderful that it is also multigrain.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoa! Definitely my type of Bento!
    I used to buy multigrains..but after weeks bugs started to infest the whole container!
    Next time i will store it in my refrigerator..my brown rice's siting in there too =) hey thanks for the awards!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an adorable little chicken! KFC never looked so good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. A healthy and cute bento, awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. great blog and wonderful pics, keep work for your success.

    farida
    http://kitchensuperfood.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. as always perfectly made... what a cute chick in the corner, love it

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aaaahhhh.... fried chicken!!!!!! You have made a fried chicken junkie like me becomes so miserable to see 'em T_T. The multigrain sounds fabulous, but I rarely find them here in my small town :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute and beautiful!
    I think I will try the multigrain sometime. Looks yummy^^

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a coincidence, just had multi-grain rice today but not with chicken, only hotdog lol! I'll post it sometime this week :) but yours really appetizing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Healthy fried rice! :D
    Me and my girls named the multi-grain rice as the healthy rice coz when I 1st bought it, they asked me what's that and I'm not sure of the names of some grains so I told them all the grains are very healthy food and that makes it the healthy rice! LOL
    BTW, What's that in the plate with some shredded carrots topping?

    ReplyDelete
  19. @ Lyn Trinix - Lyn, the white thing is coleslaw from KFC ;). So after all, this bento is not that healthy because of the KFC chicken and coleslaw (which I'm sure contains quite a lot of sugar in it). But I don't eat much junk food, so from time to it's ok, I think ;).

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice looking bento boxes. Yum!..Christine

    ReplyDelete
  21. HA! I love that you tossed some KFC in there :) You deserve a little fried chicken with that no doubt super healthy Fine Ten Grain. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  22. A healthy bento! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi CG! It's alright to indulge all these not so healthy food once in a while :)
    The KFC coleslaw here in SG has got chopped carrots but I still prefer those olden days type (somehow the taste is so different now). They had another type which was the salad with green peas and that totally tasted so much nicer! I'm not sure if you ever tasted it before. I missed the salad! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cute and healthy,,, what can I say :)

    ReplyDelete