Creamy Paprika Chicken

9 comments


Paprika-Sahne Hähnchen is German for creamy paprika chicken. It is usually eaten with steamed rice or noodles - a simple yet delicious meal. The one I made today is using the same sauce but I made a few changes to my liking. The normal German paprika chicken is usually oven baked together with the sauce, but mine is cooked separately. I always love food which is coated with breadcrumbs or flour as these lend crispiness to the deep (or pan)-fried meat, poultry or vegetables. I still wanted this meal to be relatively healthy, so instead of deep frying the chicken fillets, I coated them with egg and flour before pan-frying them.

Creamy Paprika Chicken

Pan-fried Chicken

  • 2 chicken fillets
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 egg
  • Flour

Creamy Paprika Sauce

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 2 tablespoons chopped onion
  • 1 sweet pepper, cut into long strips
  • 1 - 2 dried chili peppers
  • 1 tablespoon paprika powder
  • Chicken or vegetable powder to taste
  • 250 ml cream
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • Some grated cheese - optional

Instructions

  • Chicken: Rub the chicken fillets with salt and pepper. Coat with beaten egg and flour.
  • Pan fry the fillets until cooked and golden brown. Set aside (I left them in the oven over low heat to keep them warm).
  • Sauce: Sauté the minced garlic and chopped onion with olive oil until slightly brown.
  • Add dried chili peppers, paprika powder, chicken powder, tomato paste and pour the cream. Cook and stir for a minute.
  • Toss in the sweet pepper slices and cook for another minute.
  • Sprinkle with grated cheese.
  • Pour the sauce over the chicken fillets.
  • Serve with rice, noodles or pan-fried potatoes.
Bookmark and Share
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

9 comments:

  1. This sounds very nice. I like the changed that you made...I like the crispy breadcrumb coated chicken too. I have never had this sauce before. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous meal!! I must try this at home! Can you show us how to make that lovely little star radish please?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, this certainly looks good with rice...mmm

    ReplyDelete
  4. I already ate dinner but this looks so so delish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks delicious and I totally agree about coating meat with anything. I have had my guilty moments devouring chicken katsu yesterday ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. With those tender potatoes it is a delicacy! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love using paprika in my cooking too. This looks very delicious and easy to prepare. I love your non-bento post CG! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Berrygirl - I'd do a tutorial on this one day when I have more time, it's actually pretty simple. Thanks for the feedback :)!

    ReplyDelete